Thursday, October 22, 2009

Children's stories

Last night I went out to dinner with my mum and sister and while discussing needing to go see Where the Wild Things Are, we continued discussing Maurice Sendak and the brilliant man that he is, and that topic eventually led to what our favourite children's books were.

Other than Wild Things, I vividly remember one book's illustrations and smell (I never owned it, but always took it out from the library, and library books always have a distinct smell). It was about a little girl and her baby sister, who had been captured by goblins and replaced by a changeling, and followed the little girl on her quest to rescue her sister.

I could not remember the author or the name of the book for the life of me, but thanks to my curious and internet-savvy mum who just sent me an email with the name and author, I can now tell all of you that you should all go out and buy/rent/borrow Outside Over There also by Sendak so that you can either read it for the first time or sit back and enjoy while childhood memories flood over your senses.


Sometimes I question the interests I had as a child (particularly the fascination with monsters, scary things and anything morbid), but I guess that just adds to my personality?

No comments:

Post a Comment