Saturday, October 31, 2009

Sociology of Sexuality

I miss it. Here I am doing my sociology minor backwards, and I do not recommend it. Somehow going from really interesting material to the dry and must learn material just doesn't cut it. At least I get to finish up with a couple of good ones in the summer.

Anyway, as far as sexuality goes, this was probably one of the best memories I have from that class (from "The Death of the Stork: Sex Education Books for Children" by Wendy Simonds):
...Andry, Schepp, and Hampton's How Babies are Made (1979) and Baker's The Birds and the Bees" (1990) are more lackluster than the others in their descriptions of procreative sex:
The sperm, which come from the father's testicles, are sent into the mother through his penis. To do this, the father and mother lie down facing each other and the father places his penis in the mother's vagina. Unlike plants and animals, when human mothers and fathers create a new baby they are sharing a very personal and special relationship. (Andry, Schepp and Hampton, 1979).

When men and women mate, the penis becomes stiff and is inserted into the vagina, which has become larger and moist, ready to receive it. (Baker, 1990).


These authors make heterosex sound like a cross between directions for putting together a bookcase and a recipe for baking a cake. (I can't help but imagine the seductive dialogue, "Hey baby, I have some sperm I'd like to send you through my penis! May I insert it?" "Oh yeah, my vagina is large and moist, ready to receive!")
Seriously...this is what I studied.

No comments:

Post a Comment